08 January 2009

The End Of The Tunnel – In Sight- (Part 3)- It is His Lucky Day

An old office colleague, now a successful entrepreneur, turned up from Kuala Lumpur with his family, grandchildren and all. How pleasant it was for us, living in this quiet part of the world, to receive such a visit and sit lingering over a lunch. Before parting he passed Pak Cik a sum of money in cash plus one cheque, saying that it was to be used at Almanar for whatever purpose I found it appropriate. That was two days ago, a visit unexpected and fund unsolicited.

Yesterday afternoon, an ex-Almanar pupil came over to consult Pak Cik over an offer she received for a one-year foundation course for medicine. On successful completion of the course, the sponsors would send him to an overseas university. SPM results will only be known in two months’ time. That a pupil is selected today for such a highly demanded course must reflect an expection of an excellent SPM result. He must also have satisfied his interviewers at a session a month ago. I have known him since he joined Almanar five years ago after getting 4A and 1B in his UPSR exam. Three years later he obtained 8As in his PMR which earned him a place in a prestigious boarding school. So to all intents and purposes he is a good bet. So all things considered, Pak Cik advised him to accept the offer.

Alas, there was a snag, an immense problem to him, as a matter of fact. He was advised that some expenses, including the registration fee, had to be borne by him. A normal family may not bat an eye over a sum of the size quoted. But for a bread-winner, working at a factory and with eleven mouths to feed, the sum creates a major obstacle. How on earth can the family afford the sum which must be ready on registration in less than one week? How timely it was that a do-gooder came to Pak Cik’s house just one day earlier. Pak Cik handed my ex-pupil some cash from what I had received, telling him that it was not out my pocket. He cried bitterly over the unexpected gift. God works in a mysterious way.

Pak Cik, as a facilitator, an intermediary can only pray that one day this pupil will be a doctor, one with humility and huminity –
Berkhidmat kerana Tuhan untuk kemanusiaan.

Judging from the way he has performed thus far, he will, in a matter of time, be out of the long dark tunnel. And so is Pak Cik’s continued expectation of you all, ex-Almanar pupils. But do not hope for it without sustained effort, your own sweat.

P/s:
Pak Cik cannot at this point disclose this pupil’s identity. Hopefully, I will be able to do so when he has gone through the tunnel, Insya' Allah.


17 comments:

Kak Teh said...

Alhamdulillah. How timely! It was as if the whole thing was arranged from above. Good luck to your ex -student.

Berisman said...

Almanar,
Thanks for letting me know your blog.Yes, indeed,God works in mysterious way.May Allah swt reard you of your good deeds.
-Adib

Al-Manar said...

Kah Teh,
Yes,it works as perfectly planned by Him. Wonder what project Miis working on now; another surprise in store, Abang Ngah expect.
The visitor (below this)claims knowing Zaharah and Mi.

------

Adib,
It never occured to me that you did not know about Almanar until I read your last e-mail. Likrwise, I did not know that you were familiar with that couple who used to stay on Capel Side. What a small world we live in!

Pak Tuo said...

Salam Tuan,

Saya sedia dan ingin membantu.

Bagaimana ya?

Wassalam.

Jazakallah

Al-Manar said...

Pak Tuo
Thank you. To be sure you are real I paid a quick visit to your home. I think I can believe what I read, to answer your theme question. I will call in again shortly.

Pak Tuo said...

Terima Kasih Tuan.

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Salaam Al-Manar

I got here through Kak Teh's (that lovely lady truly helped open the cyber world for me..God bless her).

It sure looks like I am going to be a frequent visitor.. you have a nice patch of grass growing in this little corner of yours, Pak..

Al-Manar said...

Kama
Do not just say Kak Teh ‘a lovely lady’ and stop short, preferably with ‘ … the wife of a wonderful man’ and the family too. Welcome to my little patch of green. Not being a writer, I am afraid the grass if often left unmown for weeks on end. Bear with me and say your piece by all means.
Pak Cik

Anonymous said...

pakcik..i'll be home next week,please do tell me if there's anything i can help at almanar.you can call my house.but i'll definitely visit you soon.

Al-Manar said...

Fara
Give Pak Cik a ring the moment you set foot in your house. Of course I want to see you and the degree of'Indonesianness'you have acquired!
Pak Cik

Anonymous said...

Pak Cik..
I could not longer hold my tears when I read this post...
All the people you know are truely noble and kind.
We...your students, have been in those dark tunnels for so many years but with your guidance, the light seems to be nearer and brighter.
I always tell my little brother, Mi'izzuddin to appreciate all the things that you are doing to him in those classes but as you said before...he is as lazy as I was those years at Almanac. To me, he is worse...
I hope he will see the light soon...Insya Allah.
-Mimah-

Al-Manar said...

Mimah,
Indeed, your brother is as lazy as his sister was! On the other hand, if his sister can make it to the university so can he one day. When you have gone through your TESL course and be a teacher, you will be disappointed to find that your pupils are a lazy lot because they fail to live up to your expectation!You will then have your chance to repeat what I said to you - you,lazy lot!
Pak Cik

ARZ said...

Pak Chik,

As usual, two very touching articles and moments in your life

Al-Manar said...

En Ramli,
I heard about the boat tragedy near Sulawesi and I convinced myself that my good fried would certainly not be around there, certainly not at that time.

Al-Manar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum pak cik.Are you well? I really hope you are. I really want to meet you but I have no time to pay you a visit. I plan to go to Al-manar this weekend. Pak cik, I keep thinking about the thing you told me, the characteristics of a successful person. The 10A’s I got in my trial exam do not mean anything really. This does not prove that I possess the quality of a successful person. Until I see you please send my regards to mak cik. I miss you both.
AZMIERA

Al-Manar said...

Azmiera
We will be glad to see you.